The Molly Marine was dedicated on Nov. 10th, 1943 at the height of World War Two. Molly was commissioned by a local Marine recruiter, Marine Tech Sergeant Charles Gresham, with the goal of helping to recruit women during wartime.
Molly was the first monument dedicated to women who had or were serving America. Enrigues Alferez a well known New Orleans sculptor donated his services as did the suppliers of the granite and marble chips used to make Molly. The model for the statue was former Marine Judy Mosgrove. Molly proudly stands 10 feet tall. Lt Ann Delp was the body of Molly Marine and Sgt.Marilyn Neilson Strock was one of two women Marines that posed for the face and neck. The legs and arms and hands were taken from the three other Marine models.
Gazing up with her binoculars in hand, Molly appears to look to the future, the book she carries we can only guess that she records the proud history of those who have come after Opha Mae Johnson and keeps it secure for our future Marines.
Like our women Marines, Molly stands tall; she braves the storms and tribulations as the years march on. She is a steadfast example of being a Marine showing that no matter what she faces she keeps on track.
At the end of the war, Molly was found to be the most successful recruiting tool across the women’s services.
Statues of Molly are also at Parris Island where our women are recruited and at Quantico, VA. Now Molly will proudly stand in Semper Fidelis Memorial Park at the National Museum of the Marine Corps
Our sincere thanks to all who worked hard to raise the money to see Molly alongside her fellow Marines. Special thanks to the Young Marines and the Women Marines Association.